So join forces in the fellowship of the unashamed, covenant together, jump out of the boat, and wade into the deep, safe in the knowledge that Jesus is there. Embrace the uncertainty and adventure of the next exciting chapter in your life, which will be... God knows what, God knows where, God knows when, God knows with whom, and God knows how. He knows the answers. You may or may not. That's why we live by faith. That's the call to radical discipleship. Are you up for the challenge? Bring it on! (S Guillebaud)

Sunday 15 May 2011

Day 96 - 101

Day 96 (Monday 9th May)

Today was the beginning of a chaotic week for the school. I got there early and took Will with me to help. When we arrived one of the teachers wasn’t there and the class was being taken by a student, I was thinking great start to the week! So Will took the preschool class of really cute little kids which he seemed to enjoy, I told him it’s good practice for being a dad. The head teacher is on holiday this week, and we are without the teacher who resigned on Friday. One of the uncles from the centre is going to cover the lessons for this week, and I have been told I can have two teachers from the Fulani school which isn’t running die to the crisis. This will take the pressure off!

I spent a fair bit of the day with one of the children who wasn’t feeling fine, she had tooth ache and refused to take tablets so I ended up telling her to crush them in water. I definitely have no calling to do anything medical because I find ill kids so annoying!

I spent the evening chilling with Will after doing some work. We listened to music etc and I updated my blog and sent my prayer letter.

Day 97 (Tuesday 10th May)

Got to Gyero bright and early again, Will took the class without a teacher and did really well. I reckon he’s discovered his secret calling. I took the teachers meeting which involved a lot of moaning at me about anything and everything. Generally their comments were about things I can’t explain to them or change, but that’s the joy of managing people. I made the mistake of not bringing drinks for them which I don’t think went down too well, I’ve discovered that the way to their hearts is through food and drink.

In the evening Will and I went to the girl’s house for dinner. They were determined to outdo our effort last week and pulled all the stops out. We had candles on the table, place names, a poem written for us and a welcome banner. We had curry which was really nice followed by chocolate log and ice cream. We decided to call a truce for the benefit of our wallets and to do normal meals from next week. After the meal we played phase 10, and had a good laugh about various things. It was a really nice evening.

Day 98 (Wednesday 11th May)

Today is my Gidan Bege day and I went to the centre for a meeting with the girls to chat about what they will be doing there. It went really well and was really positive. I was meant to be taking a meeting with the teachers but it didn’t happen because none of the teachers were there, you get used to being relaxed about these sorts of things in Nigeria. I have ben promised they will all be there next week.

After Gidan Bege I went to the Mission Africa book shop called ACTS, I bought a few things I needed including a Hausa – English parallel bible. After going to ACTS we were traitors and went to a different book shop called Oasis. I bought a couple of things there as well. Buying books here costs a fraction of the price at home because there is a special deal with the publishers who allow Christian books to be reprinted and sold cheaply here. I bought a John Piper book for £1 which is a bargain!

In the evening Will and I went for dinner with a couple of the guys who work for Wycliffe and live on my compound.

Day 99 (Thursday 12th May)

Today is my meeting / admin day. I got up nice and early and was and the Transition House centre for 9am for the education committee meeting. After I went to town to do the shopping for Gyero. We then drove to a new ‘supermarket’ called Flourish, and the bus broke down. We were rescued by Amos, a SIM driver who fixed the van by hitting various things with a spanner. I paid attention so I am able to fix it net time the same way.

I spent the afternoon doing admin for Gyero, and we went to the girls in the evening to have a games night with them and some of the Nigerian Uncles from Transition House. We played mafia and animal kingdom which were both pretty amusing. I got some dodgy fuel from Del Boy (Ricky) because there is still no fuel in Jos. After I got the fuel the bus broke down again so I left it with Ricky for Amos to come and fix in the morning.

Day 100 (Friday 13th May)

The van was ‘fixed’ and delivered to me early in the morning. I drove Will and the lady who works for us, Hajara, to Gyero. The van had a couple of moments, it cuts out every time you put your foot on the clutch, but we got there. When I got there two of the classes were being taken by one teacher, so I got Will to take one of them. He gave them the HIV/AIDS lesson he is used to doing as part of his work in Ogugu which went really well. I did various bits of admin and met with one of the students to have a bit of a review chat.

On the way home the van kept breaking down and cutting out, there was a lot of pulling over by the side of the road and hitting things with the jack which temporarily fixed it. It didn’t help that it was pouring with rain. I did some work and then Will and I drove half way to the Fretheims before the van completely cut out. We were going to walk but one of the Hillcrest teachers Chris came past and gave us a lift.

After the Fretheim’s we had a mass outing to Barcardi which included Will and I, Chris, the Mission Africa girls, Lynsey, and the SIM girls Katie and Fiona. We played lots of pool, and got chatting to some friendly Indian guys who work here. Will, Chris and I stayed after the others left and they bought us food and a brink which was nice of them. Chris came back with us and stayed the night and we had some boy time.

Day 101 (Saturday 14th May)

Had a bit of a lay in till 9 which was very needed after my busy week. Will Lynsey and I went to a local hotel to chill and go swimming for the day. Will and I relived our childhood and proved that boys never grow up. Our favourite game was trying to throw a tennis ball at each other’s head, and sitting in rubber rings trying to pull the other one out. There was a really annoying kid there who belonged to the Russian lady owner of the hotel. He kept wanting to play with us even when the Nigerian staff told him to leave us alone. When you spend all week with children and you are on your one day off relaxing the last thing you want is a kid trying to stop you sun bathing! We were very gracious though and apart from throwing his lego in the pool and telling him to go and get it I think very tolerant!

When we left I got a text from Peter Fretheim saying that the van is beyond repair and needs a new engine, and that he has no vehicle for me. It put a real downer on a really good day. I currently have no idea how I will do all the things I need to do, and it looks like I will have to stop doing some of it. I will be able to get a motor bike to Gyero, but not sure how I will be able to take their shopping out there, or even do it without a car. I also won’t be able to give a lift to the lady we help, I will pay for her to get a motorbike as well I think. I currently rely on being flexible because meetings always change, and situations always arise, but I will be very restricted. This is a big prayer point for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment