So join forces in the fellowship of the unashamed, covenant together, jump out of the boat, and wade into the deep, safe in the knowledge that Jesus is there. Embrace the uncertainty and adventure of the next exciting chapter in your life, which will be... God knows what, God knows where, God knows when, God knows with whom, and God knows how. He knows the answers. You may or may not. That's why we live by faith. That's the call to radical discipleship. Are you up for the challenge? Bring it on! (S Guillebaud)

Monday 7 February 2011

First few days

 
I’m Here!


After the months of planning and fundraising I’m finally here in Jos. Mum and Dad took me to the airport which was lovely, and then Niki (my sister) surprised me while I was dropping my bags off. She’d got the tube across London to come and say bye. My flight was at 10.15pm on Wednesday which is a horrible time to fly. The flight is only six hours which means you don’t get a chance to sleep on the plane by the time you’ve been given the life jacket routine that’s been heard hundreds of times before, then there’s the drinks, then the duty free, then BA’s idea of a meal. I wasn’t impressed with their idea of a beef roast, it was really disgusting. Then they turn the lights off, but I was sat in front of the flight attendants (or whatever they like to be called these days) who spent the whole time discussing why they couldn’t figure out something on their computer, and how bad the hotel was going to be in Abuja (where I flew to). I found it hard hearing them moan about the hotel when I know it’s going to be far better than where a lot of the Nigerians would be living.

My flight arrived in Abuja (the capital, no it’s not Lagos) at 5.30am local time (4.30am UK). I was really tired and grumpy, but managed to smile at the immigration man (who didn’t reciprocate). I got a bit of an interrogation from the Muslim official (you can tell by dress) about exactly what I was going to be doing and how long I would be in Nigeria, but before he finished the (I assume) Christian official smiled and said you’re all done and waived me through. When I got to the baggage reclaim there were no trolleys for my 69kg luggage and I had to wait for an enthusiastic porter to put my bags on a trolley and walk with me through customs who also interrogated me about the contents of my bags and my occupation. Smiling didn’t work with him either, but I was though. My next hurdle was a man who wanted proof that my bags belonged to me and I hadn’t stolen them. I had no idea what I had done with my bag receipts from Heathrow and couldn’t find them, but he eventually agreed that they were mine based on the fact my passport had the same name as the bag labels. I was met by Luka (a Mission Africa driver) who was holding a sign. My Porter and him had a haggle about how much the porter should be paid for carry my stuff and then we were off.

I knew that African driving is different to UK driving, but I don’t think I was fully prepared for it! I can relate well to the style of driving in that ‘he who dares, wins’. Even on a duel carriageway it is perfectly acceptable to cross over to the other direction and drive the wrong way if your side of the carriageway isn’t moving. Motorbikes (called machines by the locals) will drive on either side of the road, and as long as you beep, you’re free to pull out in front of anyone at any time. Speed limits are defined by the speed of the car in front, and the number of pot holes. You can overtake if a car is coming towards you, as long as you flash your lights and beep so they know you’re there. They will then drive a bit closer to the edge so you can fit between them racing towards you, and the car on your side. Anyway no need to alarm you Mum, so I won’t talk about the dangerous and scary bits of driving!

The drive to Jos took five hours, I have no idea how it took this long because everyone has said it takes three and a half hours, but I arrived at last. I was met by a Northern Ireland couple called Ricky and Angie, and their little boy Noah. They were incredibly welcoming and sorted me out with some food and a Nigerian SIM card. My phone number to phone and text is +2348136835300 you can replace the + with 00 from a landline or mobile if you can’t work out how to do a + (mum). My UK number doesn’t work so please don’t text it!

Ricky took me for lunch at the house of the Freitheims, a US missionary couple who run City Ministries (where I’m based) on behalf of SIM. We had a variation of spaghetti bolognaise which was amazing because I don’t think I’d have been up for local food the way I was feeling on no sleep. I got to meet some of the other missionaries who are working in the area there as well.

After lunch Ricky took me to the compound where I am staying. My compound has about 12 houses on it, I’m staying in my own little bachelor pad which is so much nicer than I expected. I have a little lounge, kitchen, bathroom, and in my bedroom I have a double bed, 2 bunk beds, and a cot. I’ll be here probably for the next month until the girls are all here. The current plan I think is that we’ll go to a rural area for a while, but that could change. As lovely as where I’m staying is, electricity is very much a luxury, we have more time of no electricity than electricity which is provided by a combination of the main supply and a generator. When there’s no power it’s pitch black and I had no idea where my torch was the 1st time this happened. The biggest challenge with a torch is going for a wee because you have to try and aim two things at the same time which isn’t easy being a guy!

DAY 2 (Friday 4th Feb)

I changed my phone to the wrong time and ended up waking up an hour earlier than I needed to, but wasn’t too tired from sleeping loads the night before. I think Ricky thought I’m a stupid Englishman when I told him. It’s ok though because there are so many things about the Irish to laugh at that than they can laugh at us. I got some of my money changed by a Muslim man ‘behind a curtain’, probably an illegal money changer but he gave me a very good rate. I had my first shopping experience which was in a ‘mini-mart’ rather than the market. Ricky said its a good way to learn what prices should be even though it’s a bit more than the market. I was surprised at the amount of western food available, but it’s very expensive. After that I went to the first place where I’ll be working called Transition House (TH for short). This is where the older boys stay before hopefully integrating back in to society. They are about 14-18. I played football with them and Ricky which involved me trying to look cool playing in trousers and flip flops until one of them ‘accidentally’ took himself and me out. I got up and was like ‘no worries, it didn’t hurt’ thinking ‘I’m gunna feel this in the morning’. I have a bruised side now.

For lunch we went to the Missionary school where the missionary and rich Nigerian Kids go called Hillcrest to get some lunch. We had amazing food which reminded me of something that can be obtained from a kebab shop at about 2am (or so I’ve heard). It was amazing chip like things and suya (meat which I was told is dog, but it wasn’t, I’m not gullible).

Next we went to Luka, the Mission Africa driver’s house that he is building. It meant going in to a really Nigerian area which has been a flashpoint between Muslims and Christians but is pretty safe now because the Muslims have been kicked out by the ‘Christians’ because they caused the trouble. It was eye opening to see where they live, but a great experience. The house is going to cost about £6000 to build which is a huge amount of money based on the amount they earn. I find it hard seeing how wealthy even as missionaries we are compared to the locals.

In the evening Ricky and I went to the Freitheims for their weekly gathering for all the City Ministries missionaries. Because it was the first Friday of the month they invite everyone from SIM which is the missionary organisation they work for and who runs City Ministries and others. It was very American and they introduced me to everyone and also a short termer from London who is working for them and has also just arrived called Fiona. She is English (that makes 3 English people in Jos), also 26, and a physio from London, but trained in Southampton, and went to City Life another charismatic church so we had lots in common.

This was a jam packed day, don’t worry I will start summarising days soon, but so much new stuff to write about. Sorry if you’re getting bored but please keep reading, got to be much better than working for those of you reading this rather than doing work!

Day 3 (Saturday 5th Feb)

Less to write about today... I was picked up by Ricky again. We picked up Fiona because she wanted to see Gyero which is where we were headed. Gyero is a village which takes about 45 minutes to get to from Jos due to the road rather than the distance. It is on the video at the bottom of my blog (as is Peter Freitheim who I spoke of earlier). Gyero is the stage before Transition House for the boys, and is where all the girls go. The boys and girls are kept very separate to prevent relationships forming mainly. We got to meet the pastor, the kids, and the ‘aunties and uncles’ who look after them. I was introduced as Uncle Neil which I still try not to laugh at and find a bit weird. At least it’s getting me ready for when my sister has kids (if she ever finds herself a decent enough man).

It was great to see the kids, but I’m still really unsure as to where I’m going to fit in. Everywhere is so crazy! After cheese on toast for lunch (cheese is a real luxury, I’m being spoilt by Ricky and Angie) Ricky, Noah and I went to TH to see the boys. We played a bit more football, but with Noah so it was gentle based on the fact that he’s one. He did nearly get knocked out at one point, but he didn’t seem to mind, he’s obsessed with football like his daddy. We watched some premiership football and 5 nations rugby while the power was on at Ricky’s. I need to not get used to this luxury because its very different in the rural places I’ll be going to.

Day 4 (Sunday 6th Feb)

Ricky and Angie picked me up for church at 9.10 when the 2nd church service of the morning starts at 9, but we weren’t really late, they run on Africa time here. The churches are all really busy, and they are everywhere. Everyone who isn’t a Muslim is a ‘Christian’ and goes to church, the biggest problem is nominal Christianity. The church appeared to have Anglican routes, the preaching was ok by Nigerian standards and was on intercession. The pews (which were outside) were designed to stop you falling asleep. I’m going to try and find somewhere a bit livelier I think next week. The pastor was really passionate and I had to stop myself giggling every time he said Jeeeeesusssssss! We were the only white people there, but nobody spoke to us which is unusual for Nigerian culture, and very different to church at home where you can’t get away with not being welcomed by loads of people. Being away from my home church has helped me realise how much I love KCC. Anyway I waffle...

I went back to Ricky and Angie’s for the afternoon. We listened to some worship music from home, and had an interesting discussion on Christian stuff including denominations, spiritual gifts, infant/adult baptism, Calvinism.

Lynsay Bell arrived today who is the new short term looker after person and will be sorting out what I’m doing etc. She’s another Northern Irish person, but considering that is really lovely. I already know her from my orientation. She was pretty tired having done the same flight as me from Heathrow, so will be great to catch up properly tomorrow.

And Finally...

As I said I’m sorry this entry is so long, they won’t normally be but so much has been packed in to my first few days. I don’t have any pictures yet, I’m trying to settle in a bit before I start pointing my camera at people and things! Any Christian friends looking to receive my prayer letter and not on the list (ie not received my first email), please let me know your email address: pray4neil@live.co.uk

Security wise there is definitely tension here, but Jos is so much safer than many people think, and we are pretty safe as non Nigerians. The Mission take our safety very seriously, and the chance of us being in the wrong place at the wrong time is very remote. There were security screening people with metal detectors at the church. When the elections are on the plan is probably to still move to another part of Nigeria because there is no point in us being locked in the compound when the expected trouble happens. Please be aware that things are often inaccurate even on the BBC. On a cheery note please send texts / emails / facebook messages to say hi!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! So much you have done already, glad you have been met and looked after by some friendly Brits! Warning: Please stay clear of any activity 'behind a curtain'! Can't wait to see some pic's x

    ReplyDelete