So join forces in the fellowship of the unashamed, covenant together, jump out of the boat, and wade into the deep, safe in the knowledge that Jesus is there. Embrace the uncertainty and adventure of the next exciting chapter in your life, which will be... God knows what, God knows where, God knows when, God knows with whom, and God knows how. He knows the answers. You may or may not. That's why we live by faith. That's the call to radical discipleship. Are you up for the challenge? Bring it on! (S Guillebaud)

Saturday 26 March 2011

Day 39 to 47

This is probably going to be my last proper blog update for a while because I go travelling for six weeks from Tuesday 22nd. I hope to get some internet access but I don’t know when it will be. I won’t be able to keep up the long diary style updates either which will be a relief to some of you!

Day 39 (Sunday 13th March)
I got up nice and early for the 8am church service. I still can’t get used getting up early for church. I went to Bishara 2 again with Abi, and we took Bethan and Ali. The girls had to go through the embarrassing welcome which was entertaining for Abi and I. The teaching was good about working hard and resisting evil, but the verse (Rev 2:1-7) was taken a little out of context, the message was good all the same. I wore my Nigerian outfit again which is so hot, and the seats are so uncomfortable. It was quite funny that the ushers were going around waking up the Nigerians who had fallen asleep. I could never fall asleep sitting on the pews they have.

After church I chilled out on my own for a couple of hours watching a Terry Virgo sermon, and having lunch. I really miss the KCC teaching and need to try and download the ones since I’ve left if I manage to get a half decent internet connection. I may try and get someone to send them to me by post when I’ve been away a bit longer. Talking of post, I can and would love to receive it! Don’t forget it’s my birthday Mum on the 31st May, you can send my card to:

Neil Harknett (Mission Africa)
Care Of SUM/CRC Compound
PO Box 261
Jos
Plateau State
Nigeria

After lunch I updated my blog and sent my prayer letter out, hopefully you received it!

I then went to Transition House with the girls. It’s the place I don’t work at which has the older boys after Gyero. They had a worship / dance type evening. I was the only Baturi guy and it reminded me why I refuse to dance under any circumstance unless it’s late at night, dark, and I’ve had a Já˝±ger Mojito with a certain friend who knows who he is! So anyway I’m there, and the Nigerians, many of whom think they are American in their dress and dancing style are giving it large. Every Nigerian is born with a natural dancing gift, that the British seriously lack. Bethan, Ali and Abi were fine because they’re girls, can kinda dance, and were loving it. I tried to hide from the enthusiastic Nigerians but kept getting dragged by them to dance, so ended up looking like Mr Bean and standing out a little. They seemed to find it quite funny, and I felt a little stupid.

After we went back to the girls and made pizza. It was ok, but I’m already looking forward to the food when I get home in six months.

Day 40 (Monday 14th March)
It’s day 40, and it’s getting hotter and hotter. Forty days and nights of rain would be quite appreciated! I have been trying to not stress out and rely on God and failing miserably, and woke up this morning not sure how today or the days this week would pan out. After a few texts and phone calls it turned out today was a free day in terms of meetings etc so I decided to go to Gidan Bege to show my face and update Joseph who runs it. We had a good chat about all sorts including finding out more about each other’s family etc (a very Nigerian thing to do).

After Gidan Bege I went to what’s going to be known as the half way house. It’s just been bought and is part of the brothels ministry. It’s going to be a place where prostitutes wanting to escape the brothels can go and be helped before hopefully being reintegrated into society. It’s a really impressive massive house which was once beautiful, but needs a lot of work.

After I spent a bit of time with the girls before coming home to have some Neil time. I read Luke 12v22-34 which was a huge encouragement, and just what I needed based on everything spinning round my head. Also I found out tonight that I’ve been promised a car by SIM, the organisation who run City Ministries when I return to Jos in May. This is a huge relief, and massive and fast answer to prayer because I didn’t think it was going to be possible.

Day 41 (Tuesday 15th March)
Today was a day dominated by meetings. I travelled out to Gyero with Anne-Karin for a meeting with Sunday the Nigerian administrator of the school and then with the teachers. We mainly discussed the changes that are happening there, and how they feel about the person who is leaving. They were downcast and came across as pretty upset, but were happy that they have someone stepping in. I explained to them that I’m not a qualified teacher and that my experience is in managing and training adults, but that I could transfer the skills. I also explained that I am working at Gidan Bege and overseeing the teaching there as well so I will be very stretched. I told them all to remember Philippians 4v13, and also that we don’t understand God’s plans, but he works all things together for his and our good. After Gyero we travelled back to Jos and had a finance meeting with a few relevant people.

The Mission Africa girls and I went to Pamela’s (one of the long term missionaries) house for dinner. We had sweet and sour, and then mango crumble for pudding which was yum.

I’ve got a feeling this week is going to be crazy trying to prepare for my new role before I go away, and I’m exhausted already. I’m looking to God for my strength, gritting my teeth, and going for it!

Day 42 (Wednesday 16th March)
I met with Lynsey first thing, and then went to Gidan Bege for their teachers meeting. Anne – Karin and I explained the changes to my role, and that I will only be there one day a week rather than full time going forward. They seemed quite despondent, but I explained the reasons why and I hope they understand. Anne-Karin gave them some very in depth training on lesson plans, which I will follow up in six weeks when I’m back in Jos and in my new role. After the meeting I went to town and picked up my two new Nigerian outfits, and then spent a good while in the mobile phone shop trying to sort out and buy a dongle. It took ages, and to register it you have to give them finger prints and they take your picture. I’m writing this on Saturday 19th and it’s still not working so I’m very annoyed because I really need proper internet access, especially for my new role.

I spent the evening at the girls house, we got a takeaway from Kingsbite which is the Lebanese run restaurant.

Day 43 (Thursday 17th March)
I went to Transition House with the girls first thing for a meeting with Elisha who is in charge of all the centres (Gyero, Gidan Bege, Transition House, Kagoro etc). After we went to town to do some shopping. Apparently we have to buy our own buckets for our bucket showers in Kagoro, and another one to flush the toilet. We had a big debate about how many buckets we need and settled on four because there are two showers and two toilets, and only one person can use each one at a time (although I’m sure the girls will go to the toilet together because it seems to be part of their genetic makeup. We went to the Net Cafe (which bizarrely doesn’t have a single computer) to get some lunch, and then went to the mobile shop to try and sort sims and internet for Lynsay. We then had another meeting with Anne-Karin.

I picked up some of the Uncles from TH because the girls were cooking dinner. We had a really fun evening, and played mafia. It was great to have some guys around, because I’m the only short term guy out of Mission Africa and SIM.


Day 44 (Friday 18th March)
I’m trying to pick up the pace with writing because it’s Monday and I’m meant to be packing to leave Jos tomorrow for six weeks.

Today was a significant day because it was my last day at Gyero to ask questions etc before I’m on my own. I travelled out there with Katie and Anne-Karin, and was given the keys for the school which made it feel quite official. I spent the day looking through all the school resources with Anne-Karin, working out what they have etc and trying to sort things in to some kind of order. One of the kids fell over and cut his knee so I presented him to Katie because she’s the nurse and likes that kind of stuff. We moved the resources to a new store room which doesn’t have a hole in the roof, and then realised that the padlock didn’t fit because the wall was in the way. I decided the best way to resolve the issue was to knock a hole in the wall with a hoe I found. It worked well, and I was proud of my handiwork. It’s really funny that Nigerians can’t tell how old Baturis are in the same way we struggle with their ages. One of the Nigerians asked if I was Anne-Karin’s son (he’s eight). I found it quite amusing.

I got home from Gyero and had a meeting with Lynsey and then later went to the Fretheims for their Friday shin dig. After Ricky and I went to Barcardi lounge for some man time. We played a game of pool, which I won. There were a couple of Nigerian guys watching who wanted to play the winner. The guy said to Ricky that he could play well and that I’m rubbish. I played him though because I had beaten Ricky. He was pretty good, and had one ball left plus the black. I came to the table, fluked a pot, then cleared up five balls in a row for the win. The Nigerian guy looked devastated, and like it as the end of the world, Ricky and I found it very amusing. The guys wanted Ricky’s phone number so they could introduce us to some girls. Ricky politely said no thanks, I’m married and we made our exit.

Day 45 (Saturday 19th March)
Today was an awesome day, and wish I had more time to go into detail. We went to a place called Sherri Hills which is about half an hour outside of Jos with all the Mission Africa girls plus a couple of Hillcrest teachers, Katie and Fiona from SIM, and Nigerian Uncles from TH and Gidan Bege. The day was boiling hot, but it didn’t stop us making the crazy rock climb to the top of the rock. Hopefully I’ve managed to put some pics below to explain.













After I went to a hotel for lunch with The Hillcrest & SIM guys. We had Suya which was spicy, but lovely. We drove back to the girls compound, and one of the guys with us, Dan, who has a massive car drove through a wall in their compound because he didn’t see it. It was really funny, and his car was fine.

I spent the evening with Katie, Fiona, and Phil at Dan’s house. We played band hero which was incredibly funny, especially trying to sing Wanabe and YMCA.

Day 46 (Sunday 20th March)
I went to the same church again called ECWA Bishara 2 with the MA girls. When we got back to their compound we got a security alert saying that there had been an attempted bombing at a church in Jos. The attempt failed and the two men accidentally blew themselves up instead of the church. As far as I’m aware nobody else died, and nobody from the mission community goes to the church involved. It’s a reminder though of the potential dangers in Jos, and that we shouldn’t get complacent. (We got a security alert for expected trouble this morning, Monday, for trouble in town because of a rally so we’re remaining careful).

I spent the afternoon and evening with Fiona, Katie and Phil at Hillcrest which is probably the safest compound in Jos.

Day 47 (Monday 21st March)
This is the last day before going away for six months. We will be back in Jos next weekend briefly, but after that we will be away until the 2nd May. I had a fairly relaxed day which involved getting money in the morning, and then embarking on getting my hair cut which took all day. I let Abi loose on it because it’s going to be boiling hot when we’re away and I wanted it nice and short. I kinda like it which I wasn’t expecting.

There was some tension in Jos centre which we all were well away from, but it kept some of our friends from visiting us until later on. We learnt some puppet skills from Samsung and Jabez (Nigerian friends) which was good fun. I kept going in to an American accent by mistake which sounded funny. The boys cooked dinner for us which was awesome, we had jolloff rice or however you spell it.

I drove to Hillcrest to spend the evening with Phil (one of the teachers), but my car ran out of petrol halfway there. I knew it was nearly empty but was hoping to last until tomorrow because then Luka will fill it up for me. Ricky came and rescued me with a can of petrol so all was well.

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear your news Neil and I love the photos. Praying for you. Graham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a massive experience. Still praying that it'll be even more fruitful a time for you. Looking forward to seeing you again in what is still, far too long!

    Si

    ReplyDelete