So join forces in the fellowship of the unashamed, covenant together, jump out of the boat, and wade into the deep, safe in the knowledge that Jesus is there. Embrace the uncertainty and adventure of the next exciting chapter in your life, which will be... God knows what, God knows where, God knows when, God knows with whom, and God knows how. He knows the answers. You may or may not. That's why we live by faith. That's the call to radical discipleship. Are you up for the challenge? Bring it on! (S Guillebaud)

Sunday 13 March 2011

I have had a crazy week which I will explain as you read this update, so sorry that it’s taken me ages to update my blog.

Day 30 (Friday 4th March)
Luka picked me up bright and early and drove me to Gidan Bege, I still find it a bit strange being driven by a driver. I taught a phonics lesson, and had to punish the two new boys for fighting with each other in the lesson. It is really hard for us to punish the boys because they have nothing you can take away from them, and we won’t beat them, so I opted for the kneeling method. In Nigeria it is usual to make children kneel for an hour with their hands on their head which is extremely painful I’m told. I did it for two minutes which did the trick because they loved me when I told them sit back in their seats and not do it again.

When school had finished Joseph, the Nigerian who runs Gidan Bege invited me to his house for some lunch. He gave me Gwete which is a bit soup like, and very spicy. It has tomatoes, spinach and maize type stuff in it, but is so spicy you can’t taste what’s in it. It made my lips tingle a smidgen but was actually quite nice.

After Gidan Bege I went to the other compound and had my first experience on a machine (motorbike). It was on the back of Jabez’s bike (Abi’s boyfriend) and only between the two compounds so I felt safe.

In the evening I went to Friday at the the Fretheims with Lynsey. We had lots of food, and after we had yummy chocolate cake and other nice stuff.

Day 31 (Saturday 5th March)
Today was carnival day at Hillcrest School, so we went to America for the day. It is so strange because you go through the compound gates and it feels like you’ve been transported to an American high school. It was a really hot day (the weather is getting hotter and hotter here). They had a water slide for the children that we couldn’t resist so Abi, Lynsey, Niffer and I all went on it fully clothed. See video below if it works! It was fun and we dried out really quickly.



We also did archery, and ate candy floss or cotton candy as our American friends call it.

In the evening we made pizzas, my chef skills were required to make authentic pizza sauce which went down quite well. We then spent the evening playing virtual find the thimble which sounds a tad geeky, but it kept us amused for a while.

Day 32 (Sunday 6th March)
I got up at crazy o’clock for church which starts at 8am. Abi and I went to the same church as last week, Ecwa Bashara 2. I wore my kaftan again which is hot, but I love wearing Nigerian clothes. The sermon was a little odd, a lot about geography, and commenting on the British Empire. Also there was some content I can’t discuss on here. After the service we thought it best to go and see the pastor because we didn’t last week. We were invited into his office and introduced to all the elders, they were very welcoming and gave us minerals. At the end I really needed to ‘ease myself’ as the Nigerians say, and was directed to the toilets. It was a big mistake because there was a hole in the ground which was impossible to see when you closed the door and were left in pitch darkness. It was a case of aim and hope, which is what everyone before had done so you also had to avoid the puddles, nice!

After church I was told that the plan to go to Abuja tomorrow had changed and I was going in 2 hours. This was a little crazy. I am going to Abuja with Lynsey to meet the two new girls Ali and Bethan who have finally got their visas. I’m very excited about them arriving and going to meet them. I will get all of Monday in Abuja which is the capital before they arrive early Tuesday morning.

Luka and Zongo the other Mission Africa driver drove us to Abuja. On the way we saw a horrible accident which involved a car under a lorry. Lynsey and I didn’t look, but it was probably fatal and isn’t a nice thing to drive right next to.

We arrived at Billy and Linda’s house in Abuja who look after the long termers in Nigeria amongst other things, it was good to meet them. Lynsey and I then went to a place called Drumstix which is a little like KFC. It was very exciting to have the first fast food since arriving in Nigeria. Abuja is strange because in some ways it is very western, it’s a massive culture shock from Jos, but still a world away from the UK. In Abuja I could wear shorts, and Lynsey could wear more western clothes.

Lynsey and I stayed at the Baptist guest house and had air con in our rooms which was amazing. It was 33C at night in Abuja! I had a comfy nights sleep in a comfy bed.





I saw this washing up liquid on the same morning I got my letter from Joy.








Day 33 (Monday 7th March
This morning was exciting because I got a letter. I don’t think I’ve already explained that before I came I was given a letter a month to take with me by my friends Gaz and Joy. Today was a letter from Joy which was really encouraging. Lynsey and I had homemade muffins for breakfast which were yummy, and then headed out. We went to a craft market where I bought some cool stuff including a real snakeskin wallet. We were getting fed up with being hassled so I pretended to be Portuguese and not speak English with one of the men trying to sell things. The problem was he thought he could speak Portuguese so I had to keep throwing in Portuguese sounding words in mixed with some Hausa. Lynsey found it hard to contain her laughing but I managed to carry it off, and even bargain with him and bring the price of the Nigerian hat down from ₦3000 (£12.65) to ₦800 (£3.40).

After the market we went to a proper supermarket which was a little like Aldi, but expensive. We didn’t buy anything. We went to another fast food place called Southern Fried Chicken for lunch which was expensive but lush. After we went to the Sheriton Hotel to use their swimming pool. It was a strange experience because it was full of baturis. The pool was amazing, and it was us and the cabin crew from the KLM flight. Because KLM is Dutch (I think) the pilots who were getting on in years, and not afraid of a pie or two were wearing Speedos. Not a pleasant site, but things were balanced out by the air hostesses who were young, blonde and tanned.

We went back to Billy and Linda’s house to have showers and get ready to go out. We stayed at their house the second night because they left to go back to the UK for their break. I had my first bucket shower because they don’t have a shower in their guest room. It was made harder by the fact that there as no NEPA and we couldn’t work out how to use the generator. So it was pitch black. We went out to get food and bought shwarmas. They are basically a toasted wrap with chicken and stuff in them. It was amazing, but the spiciest thing I have ever eaten in my life. Lynsey and I really struggled to eat them, and our lips were numb. Luka and Zongo managed to fix the electricity using a pair of pliers. There was something wrong with the switch that switches from NEPA to the gen. There were lots of sparks, but it worked. That night I had no aircon, so was sleeping in 33C heat with only a fan. It will be worse in a few weeks when we go to Ugugu.

Day 34 (Tuesday 8th March)
I got up at 4.30am today to go and meet the girls from the airport. I was tired but remembered how tired I was when I arrived and nothing can beat that. It was exciting to see them, and we chatted lots on the way to Jos which took 5 and a half hours. We got to Jos at 11.45am, and were hot and tired when we arrived. We all had lunch with Ricky and Angie. Lynsey didn’t come back to Jos, she went to Ugugu with the other new short termer, Lyndey who came on the same flight. She is there for a week, so Abi and I will help them settle in along with Ricky and Angie.

After the girls had slept Abi and I cooked spag bowl for them Nigerian style. Abi’s contribution was stirring the spaghetti and making a mess everywhere. Mum and Dad phoned while we were eating, I loved hearing from them. We all got an early night because we were so tired.

Day 35 (Wednesday 9th March)
Today was spent starting to show the girls Jos and helping them settle. We went food shopping, and for lunch went to Hillcrest and bought Suya and Fried Irish. After lunch I had a meeting at Gidan Bege with Anne-Karin and the teachers. A-K is going home for four months soon, and will be away until after the school year finishes. We chatted about the option of me taking on some of her role and overseeing the teaching at Gidan Bege. This is an exciting opportunity which I am looking forward to.

We all had dinner at Ricky and Angie’s, and after had a safety meeting so that the girls are aware of all the safety stuff.

Day 36 (Thursday 10th March)
I woke up, and the compound siren went off. This is the emergency siren which goes off if there is an intruder in the compound. I got a call from the guards because they thought I had set it off, but it wasn’t me. Luckily it was a false alarm.

Abi and I took the girls to town to go cloth shopping. They bought quite a bit, we went to my friendly Muslim man and I bought another cloth from him. He called the tailor and I gave him the cloth and another one to make two more Kaftans for me. The girls found it very amusing that I had to try and explain to him that I wanted a flap in the front of the trousers. I had to use a combination of actions, Hausa, and English.

We went to the Net Cafe and bought ice creams and bumped in to Anne-Karin. We were due to take the girls to Gidan Bege to meet A-K so we gave her a lift. A-K, Abi and I introduced them to the staff and boys, it was the first ministry they had seen. Joseph who runs GB chatted with all of us for ages explaining to the girls all that goes on at GB. He is a really passionate and inspiring man.
A-K talked to me and told me that someone at Gyero who oversees the school is leaving suddenly and very soon. She asked if I would consider taking on some of her responsibilities. Everything is very sketchy at the moment, but I am praying and seeking God’s guidance. After A-K, Joseph and I had a meeting to discuss my role at GB and the changes being planned. I can’t discuss details yet, partly because I don’t know them, but when I return to Jos in 6 weeks after the elections it looks like I will be spending most of my time at Gyero helping the school, and one day a week at Gidan Bege taking the staff meeting, doing observations etc. It’s all a little crazy.

We spent the evening at Niffers and had vegetable stir-fry and some good conversation.

Day 37 (Friday 11th March)
I woke up early and got a lift to Gyero with Anne-Karin so we could have a meeting to discuss the changes to my role further. Bethan and Ali came later with Ricky and Luka so they could be introduced to Gyero. We played with the kids at break time, and then I took them to each of the classes to introduce them properly. After that I had another meeting with A-K, Nicky who is on the leadership committee, and Jege, the Nigerian administrator of the school.

Luka drove the girls, Ricky, Noah and I home, Ali sat in the boot because there wasn’t room which she seemed to enjoy. Ali, Bethan and I spent the afternoon planning for our Kagoro trip which starts on the 21st for 3 weeks while the elections are on.

Bethan, Ali and I then went to Friday at the Fretheims for dinner. I was given the job of introducing them to everyone. I ended up having another meeting With Nicky and Peter Fretheim. One big concern I have at the moment is transport. I will need to get to Gyero each day, and there doesn’t appear to be a car for me or realistic transport options. This is a big prayer request along with the craziness of the whole thing.

Day 38 (Saturday 12th March)
Sorry that I’m getting a bit lazy with my updates, I’m really struggling to keep up with my blog without my eyes closing!

Today Abi and I took the girls to town to show them the market and to go cloth shopping. Ali and I managed to avoid a potentially sticky situation with a man in a cloth shop. I can’t go in to details here, but it involved him questioning our motives for being in Nigeria and he was quite confrontational. We managed to walk away from the situation. My sister Niki phoned when I was in the middle of the market, it was lovely to hear her voice. (Never thought I’d say that, lol).

After we went to Mashia which a ministry giving women with HIV/AIDS the opportunity to make some money by making various things from cloth. I didn’t buy anything this time, but the stuff was really good.

After we went to the Mission Africa prayer meeting, it was good to all spend time together. After I came home to chill and update my blog.

1 comment:

  1. You sound like a local now x so glad you are settling in and that the girls have finally arrived x i will email you soon x

    ReplyDelete