So join forces in the fellowship of the unashamed, covenant together, jump out of the boat, and wade into the deep, safe in the knowledge that Jesus is there. Embrace the uncertainty and adventure of the next exciting chapter in your life, which will be... God knows what, God knows where, God knows when, God knows with whom, and God knows how. He knows the answers. You may or may not. That's why we live by faith. That's the call to radical discipleship. Are you up for the challenge? Bring it on! (S Guillebaud)

Saturday 18 June 2011

Day 129 - 135

Day 129 (Saturday 11th June)

I was woken up by a text from a Nigerian I am really close to in the ministry asking if it was possible to borrow some money for his child to go to hospital. I am really careful about lending money, but felt it was the right decision to give him the money as a gift rather than lending it to him. To many of the Nigerians working here it’s a months wages, to me it was £24 and I felt blessed being able to help him.

I went swimming with Lynsey, and forgot that doxy (anti-malarial) + sun = sunburn. I never go red usually however hot it is and will be more careful next time! It was good to have another Saturday chilling, swimming, and sleeping by the pool. It’s almost relaxing being a missionary sometimes!

I spent the evening updating my blog and chatting on Facebook.

Day 130 (Sunday 12th June)

I wasn’t able to go to church today because the car we share was broken, so I had a morning at home on my own. I listened to a sermon from home, which was all about worshiping through your job, however menial you think it is.

For dinner I made kfc (ish) chicken with chips. It was really yum! I spoke to Mum and Dad on Skype which was nice. There is basically no water here because the water pump has broken or something. Apparently it will be fixed tomorrow morning, but this is Nigeria!

Day 131 (Monday 13th June)

I went to Gyero in the morning on a chaba (motorbike taxi), and still find it amazing (and a little crazy) being on the back of a motorbike riding through rural Nigeria. There wasn’t a lot to do at the school, and spent some time entertaining one of the teachers little girl and reading to her. When I got home I had a sneaky shower, but not sure if the water is fixed yet and hoped nobody heard me cos apparently we don’t have much. I spent the afternoon and evening doing admin work. For dinner I made the Nigerian dish red stew.

Day 132 (Tuesday 14th June)

I went to Gyero again and took the staff meeting after school. It went on for AGES, and when I asked if there was anything else they wanted to discuss (which in polite English means I want to get out of here), they had lots more they wanted to talk about. It’s all good fun though, and I’m getting on really well with the teachers. Apparently they think I have a management gift, which is really nice to hear because I’m not used to people complimenting me!

In the evening I went out for dinner with Lynsey, Lynds, and Calum who arrived from the UK today. He was here for a year last year, and is here for a month making promo videos for Mission Africa. On the table next to us was the Chelsea and Nigeria player Mikel John Obi. He is from Jos, and home visiting friends and family before the premiership season starts again. Calum got a picture with him, and chatted to him a little bit.

When we got back we went to Lynsey’s and played Mario Cart on her Wii which was good fun.

Day 133 (Wednesday 15th June)

Today is my Gidan Bege day, I went there and took the teachers meeting with the teachers there. It went well, and we discussed taking the boys on a school trip to Sherri Hills which should be fun. Calum gave me a lift because the car is still broken, and it was pouring with rain so wasn’t able to get home any other way. I met Simon Hamilton who is one of the Mission Africa council members visiting for a few days. I went to Barcardi with him and Calum to play pool, and to discuss how we’re getting on etc.

Day 134 (Thursday 16th June)

I got up really early (Nigerian’s like their early starts) for the education committee meeting being held at Gidan Bege. When I got there I had a mega blonde moment and spoke to one of the Nigerians I know really well thinking they were someone else. I even spoke about the person I was speaking to. I think I managed to cover up my mega error though and not look completely stupid! The person taking the meeting forgot that we had a meeting, and asked if we could postpone it. I think I must be getting more patient in my old age because I was pretty chilled about my pointless early morning, even though I couldn’t keep my eyes open.

I went from Gidan Bege with Calum and Bethan to the zoo with the staff kids from Gidan Bege. They often get overlooked so it was good for them to get out. I got shouted at by a teacher who was with a group of separate school children. I spoke to them in Hausa asking how school is, and the teacher was annoyed that they are only allowed to speak English in school. We have the same rule in our schools, but it’s between each other and when being taught, it’s different when we’re building relationships with them! So from the zoo we met Simon and Lynsey and went to the craft market to help Simon buy some things for his family. Bethan and I helped with the bartering because we don’t com across as new to the country. We then took Simon to Hillcrest School to get lunch. We had suya (meat) which was yum. From there Bethan and I went to change money for him, and then drove to FCS (Fellowship of Christian Students) to have a tour with Simon. I then drove Simon to Gyero in Lynsey’s Rav 4 and showed him the school and village. I introduced him to a couple of the teachers etc, and he got some pictures of the children and burnt out houses. I then took him to a coulple of our missionaries called Pamela and Musa. I rushed home, had a two minute shower, change, and hair producting session and rushed back out the door to a meal for the Mision Africa staff at the restaurant.

When we got there Mikel John Obi was there again, and one of the girls in particular tried chatting him up and managed to get autographs for all of us. He was really friendly, happy to chat and interested in what we’re doing.

I got home late and was so so tired, and have to be up in morning to go to Gyero.

Day 135 (Friday 17th June)

I still had Lynsey’s car today so I could drive Calum and his filming equipment to Gyero. Half way there the car cut out and stopped working. We tried everything including all the Nigerian tricks I know but it wouldn’t do anything. Ricky and Luka came to help us, and as soon as Ricky turned the key it worked, luckily we all found it quite funny. At Gyero Calum interviewed me for the video, and filmed the children etc. I marked the teachers lesson plans, and did some things which needed doing.

After school Calum and I went to town to do some food shopping, when I got home I fell straight asleep I was so tired for an hour. I then had a chilled evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment