So join forces in the fellowship of the unashamed, covenant together, jump out of the boat, and wade into the deep, safe in the knowledge that Jesus is there. Embrace the uncertainty and adventure of the next exciting chapter in your life, which will be... God knows what, God knows where, God knows when, God knows with whom, and God knows how. He knows the answers. You may or may not. That's why we live by faith. That's the call to radical discipleship. Are you up for the challenge? Bring it on! (S Guillebaud)

Sunday 26 June 2011

Day 136 - 144

Sorry if this and future blog updates appear a bit shorter or rushed, I’m crazy crazy busy with work and trying to get things done in the less than six weeks I have left here.

Day 136 (Saturday 18th June)

After a bit of a lay in Lynsey came to my compound and we played basketball for a while. Ok my compound has a basketball court, but it’s not luxury, honest! I had a lovely relaxing Saturday, and in the evening gate crashed the Wycliffe bible study which was good, albeit quite long.

Day 137 (Sunday 19th June)

I went to Jets church with the girls a couple from Wycliffe. The service was short by Nigerian standards, under two hours. The sermon was hard to follow, and we all struggled with it. I came hope and listened to a Simon Guillebaud sermon online from his new church in the US. It was good to listen to something challenging.

I made a tomato pasta thing for dinner which seemed to work ok, but maybe I was just really hungry. It’s going to be strange adapting to uk food again because even food I cook here now has a bit of Nigerian flavour because of the ingredients we can get.

Day 138 (Monday 20th June)

I travelled to Gyero on an achaba (motorbike taxi) and had a fairly average day at work. I spent some of it being distracted by Sunday, the headteacher’s little daughter. She enjoyed handing me books from the library, getting bored of them quickly, handing me more, and expecting me to put them all back.

In the evening I went to Barcardi to play some pool with Lynsey, Bethan and Samson, a Nigerian friend. When I got back I realised the generator is broken on my compound so I had only a candle to keep me company.

Day 139 (Tuesday 21st June)

I went to Gyero again and spent most of the time discussing the end of year exams I’m writing for the school. I held a teachers meeting which involved a lot of them ranting at me and taking out their frustrations which are generally out of my control. It started pouring with rain which meant I was also wondering how I was going to get home at the same time as trying to placate them. Because I have no car, and you can’t get an achaba in the rain (they refuse, and it is too dangerous), I went and pleaded with the pastor to give me a lift. He agreed which was a huge relief, and so he drove me down the Gyero dirt track which was more like a river in the pouring rain in his ancient non 4x4 car. It was definitely an experience, you couldn’t see anything because it was raining so hard, and the road was really really boggy. I have no idea how Nigerians do it, I would have struggled driving anything.

I spent the evening working and making the most of having power and went to bed at 1am.

Day 140 (Wednesday 22nd June)

I went to Gidan Bege and after speaking to Joseph (who runs the centre) about some challenging stuff, and my feedback etc I held the teachers meeting. It was not the easiest meeting, but feel very supported by Joseph.

I went to Mission Africa’s shop Acts with the girls to get some study material, and we decided to go for James. We will be starting a small group for ourselves next week.

In the evening I went to a leaving party, and when I got home I carried on working.

Day 141 (Thursday 23rd June)

I had NEPA (power) today so was able to work lots from home. I went to town to top up on things I needed for myself and the school, but it rained which meant I wasn’t able to get much. All the stalls shut when it rains.

I saw the girls and they gave me my birthday present (bit late). It’s 3 carvings of the masks of the three main Nigerian tribes which I had seen and really wanted. I just need a wall to put them on when I get home now!

Day 142 (Friday 24th June)

I worked from home again today because I can do a lot more here especially when I have NEPA, which I did. I managed to get lots done which was a big relief.

Later on I went to town to get the things I wasn’t able to yesterday. I carried on and got more work done. I was presented with some flowers by two Nigerian girls which was cute. One of them is the daughter of my cleaner and is always wanting to speak to me through my window when I’m trying to work.

In the evening I went to Lynsey’s to play on her Wii with the girls. After Calum and I went to Barcardi to play a bit of pool. Before I went out I told my guards that I would be home late late, ie after the 10pm curfew which they were fine with. When we got back at 11pm the guard wasn’t happy with us and fully ranted and shouted. I was very gracious and apologetic, but it was really annoying because they are usually fine.

Day 143 (Saturday 25th June)

I spent a while doing my quiet time before going to the Mission Africa prayer meeting at 3pm. After I decided to make myself burger and chips which was pretty amazing, although I couldn’t move after and couldn’t finish it because it was so huge.

I spent my Saturday evening working until the generator broke and I had only candlelight for company. I have managed to finish the class one and two maths exams this week which I’m pleased with.

Day 144 (Sunday 26th June)

I had no car to go to church this morning so I spent the time at home listening to an amazing sermon from Joel Virgo and then read exactly the same message in today’s Purpose Driven Life chapter. I won’t say what the message was, but really felt like God is trying to tell me something! I also studied ready to lead tomorrows small group on James. That also tied in to the message I had heard earlier so am feeling challenged.

I didn’t do any work related work, and really enjoyed having a day away from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment