So join forces in the fellowship of the unashamed, covenant together, jump out of the boat, and wade into the deep, safe in the knowledge that Jesus is there. Embrace the uncertainty and adventure of the next exciting chapter in your life, which will be... God knows what, God knows where, God knows when, God knows with whom, and God knows how. He knows the answers. You may or may not. That's why we live by faith. That's the call to radical discipleship. Are you up for the challenge? Bring it on! (S Guillebaud)

Monday 11 July 2011

Day 150 - 157

Sorry for the delay, I have had no internet for a couple of days.

Day 150 (Saturday 2nd July)

I left five months ago today which meant I had a monthly letter to open from Gaz. This one contained “one of his most prized possessions”, a plastic model Yoshi from the Mario games. Also two paper aeroplanes which I enjoyed making. The other thing he included was a KCC business card with times crossed out, and replaced with not any more. The church should have been starting a single large meeting in the new building by now, but there have been a few delays. They will have the first meeting on Sunday 17th July which is really exciting. When I get back it will be all new still, although loads of people will be away at the New Frontiers youth event New Day on my first Sunday back, which is a bit sad.

I didn’t have a very exciting day, I ventured out briefly jumping on a chaba into town to buy some bread. My logic meant that rather than buying bread from the shop next to my compound, I paid to get a chaba to town to buy more expensive (but much nicer) bread.

I spent the rest of the day working until really late on the exam papers.

Day 151 (Sunday 3rd July)

I got a lift to church, and managed to stay awake for the whole service. Um that’s about all I can say about it.

I watched a Joel Virgo preach from his Sex etc series which was really really good.

Later on I went with Lynsey to her church for a youth meeting. Most people would consider that at 27 I am a little old to go to youth events as a punter, but I was assured by Lynsey that in Nigeria they are part of the youth until about 35. So we headed along for, quoting Lynsey “an afternoon of worship songs that we will know from Hillsong etc”. When we went in and sat down I felt I could probably be the dad of many of the people there, but it didn’t put me off. The reverend was speaking, and basically his hour long “youth talk” was on obeying your parents, getting as much education as you can because that’s the only way you will get anywhere in life, and not being lazy. He started asking people what time a good young person should get up in the morning and what time they got up. They were all saying 5.30am, 6am. We knew they would ask us because Lynsey and I were the only Baturis. He asked me, and I said 8am. Partly because it was funny, and partly because I think it’s a decent time to be waking up in the morning. They all found it quite funny, I did feel like quite a rebel though. I was grateful that Lynsey also said 8am. He was saying that you are lazy if you get too much sleep, I did say that I go to bed really late because thats the only time I can get work done. Lynsey and I got really annoyed when he started asking everyone how many people they have brought to Christ this year. When he came and asked us we refused to answer because we felt it really inappropriate.

After the service one of Lynsey’s friends came and chatted to us and hekd my hand (which is very Africa), but I couldn’t get him to let go for ages, and he was holding it the way we would see as couply, not mummy and daddy holding hands if you know what I mean. Lynsey found it really funny, but I’m pretty used to it. I’ll have to remember not to grab any of my guy mates hands when I get home!

Day 152 (Monday 4th July)

Today I went to Gyero ready to start the testing and exams. It was strange going in to the pre-school and Kate not being there (who died last week). The atmosphere was buoyant at the school though which really helped. I started the reading testing which involves testing all 124 children one on one. I had Sunday (head teacher) to help me which was good.

I came home from Gyero and spent the evening working on the exams until late.

Day 153 (Tuesday 5th July)

I had another day of testing at Gyero today. It was pouring with rain, but I managed to get a lift meaning I could get there. Sunday’s three year old daughter Grace was unwell, she has been given malaria treatment and we are praying she will be fine.

When I got home I worked until midnight, and felt very tired!

Day 154 (Wednesday 6th July)

I woke up feeling really ill today, and decided to have a day at home rather than going to Gidan Bege for the staff meeting. I had lots of sleep and felt a bit better in the afternoon which was good because the girls were coming over for dinner and the weekly small group. I made them burgers and chips which they were really grateful for. Earlier in the day I popped to town to get the food I needed, and I saw an old man begging who always sits outside the shop we go in. I sat with him for a few minutes trying to talk in my best Hausa because he doesn’t speak English. I gave him a little bit of money, I had been really challenged in my quiet time. It’s so easy to hand out money, and help ‘from a distance’, but much harder to lower yourself to the needy person and do something about it. This applies to so many situations, but this was mine for the day. I didn’t get to sleep until 3am, which was a combination of work and lots going round my head.

Day 155 (Thursday 7th July)

Today was working from home day, I got woken up by my cleaner at 9am. Considering they get up so early I think they thought I was dead because they were basically trying to break in to my room! I wasn’t impressed and really up for a bit more sleep. I worked in the communal area while they cleaned my room which took them till after 12. I have no idea what 2 people can do for that long, it really wasn’t that messy!

I was still feeling ill today, but managed to get lots of work done. In the evening I went to a 40th birthday celebration.

Day 156 (Friday 8th July)

I went to Gyero and finished off the remaining reading exams. I turned one of the classrooms into an exam room, and began the spelling exams. I was glad I gave them each an id number and wrote it on their papers because some of them can’t even write their name. I managed to get grade one and two finished which means only three to five to go. Then its just the maths exams and its all done, then time to try and analyse it and make some sense of all the marks.

I spent the evening doing some more work, and marking etc. I have nearly finished writing all the maths exams stuff, I just have to finish the answer sheet for the grade five exam.

Day 157 (Saturday 9th July)

Today was a real nothing day, it was pouring with rain and dark and miserable outside. I had no nepa all day which meant I couldn’t get any work done because I didn’t have any laptop battery. I managed to get a bit done in the evening when I had generator from 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment