So join forces in the fellowship of the unashamed, covenant together, jump out of the boat, and wade into the deep, safe in the knowledge that Jesus is there. Embrace the uncertainty and adventure of the next exciting chapter in your life, which will be... God knows what, God knows where, God knows when, God knows with whom, and God knows how. He knows the answers. You may or may not. That's why we live by faith. That's the call to radical discipleship. Are you up for the challenge? Bring it on! (S Guillebaud)

Sunday 17 July 2011

Day 158 - 165

Day 158 (Sunday 10th July)

I walked to the girls compound because the car was at theirs, but neither Abi or Bethan who can drive were going to Jets with us so I needed to drive them. The service was really long, two hours and twenty minutes , and really hard to understand.

I had no Nepa all day, so wasn’t able to use my laptop. I used the battery I had left to listen to a preach from home. I spoke to mum and dad on the phone which was nice.

I made Nigerian food for dinner, red stew which was yum. I decided to only make enough for one meal because the last couple of times I have put it in the fridge and forgotten about it. I think I still have some in there from about two months ago, although it could be something else. The smell is putting me off getting too close and fishing through the mould to check. I keep forgetting to give it to my cleaner when she comes (which seems to be about every three weeks rather than weekly).

Day 159 (Monday 11th July)

Today I arranged to go back to Kagoro for the day to say goodbye to the boys before I go. Kagoro is where I spent the first three weeks of my time away from Jos over the election period, and where all the trouble occurred over the election period.

The girls were meant to pick me up at 8.30, but they left their only house key on the keys to the car which I had, which meant I had to drive to them so they could lock their house and we could leave.

Lynsey drove to Kagoro because we had no driver available which was pretty brave of her. It was great to see all the boys, and they gave us a really warm welcome. Mission Africa has a team there at the moment , who are coming to Jos at the weekend to spend their second two weeks. It was good to meet them.

Since the demise of Ruth the chicken Abi and Ali have been talking about getting a new pet to replace her, and had their heart set on a duck. We were told we could get one at the market (the one that got burnt down in during the election). Lynsey let me borrow her car to drive them to the market, it was sad seeing it all burnt out, but good to see them trading and making the most of it. We found a man selling ducks, and they bought a girl duck for ₦800 (£3) which apparently is still expensive. Abi forgetting is was a girl decided to call her Arthur. We managed to get a cardboard box to put her in, in exchange for buying some toilet rolls. By the time we got back to Kagoro she had pooed and weed and covered herself. When Abi remembered she was a girl duck she decided that the duck would be known as a him, and still called Arthur.

When we left Kagoro I put the box with the duck in back in the car not realising they had put a cup of water in for it to drink. We realised half way home and discovered Arthur had knocked it over in the box, and was covered in runny brown poo, nice!

Day 160 (Tuesday 12th July)

I went to Gyero today and carried on with the exams, and really went for it. I turned three class rooms in to exam rooms and decided it was better to cause complete chaos for the whole school for a short time, than semi complete chaos for a longer period of time. We got loads done finishing the spelling exams, which meant I had loads of marking to do when I got home.

I felt really unwell, so I got an early ish night.

Day 161 (Wednesday 13th July)

I had a sleep in and went to Gidan Bege for my staff meeting there. There was nobody there other than the boys, so I spent some time with them. I was still feeling pretty unwell, but had no food so I popped to town on my way home to get some stuff. I had a chilled evening.

Day 162 (Thursday 14th July)

I went to Gyero and carried on with the exams. I managed with lots of help to get the Maths exams done for grade 1,3 and 4 meaning only grade 5 is left to finish tomorrow.

I came home and marked some of the mountains of exam papers.

I discovered that trying to use ebay in Nigeria is not a good idea. My ebay and paypal account both got blocked due to “unauthorized activity” (you have to say it in an American accent). I discovered the process of convincing them I am really me and not a scammer is a difficult one, especially as they ask you to call a UK only number, and want to call you on your UK number. All I wanted to buy was some hair product!

In the evening I went to the girls house for a games evening with the Mission Africa and SIM short , term people plus some of our Nigerian friends from the ministry. I found out that the girls no longer have Arthur the duck. They have given him away to the gardener because she was too hard to look after and smelt too much, and was a really fussy eater. The funny thing is that their gardener wants to get a mate for it, but thinks it’s a male duck due to the name Arthur. He didn’t understand that it’s a girl with a boy’s name when they tried to explain. I don’t think the mating idea is going to work very well.

Day 163 (Friday 15th July)

I went to Gyero to finish the exams. I also retested the students who got high / low results to compare them to students in other grades.

I came home and did some more marking before going to the Freheims for the evening for food etc. I came home and did some more work.

The best exam answer I have seen:

Question: Which type of triangle is the following?

Answer: Bisexual

It was from a 13 year old boy, and I have no idea how he even knew the word. I think he was getting confused with bilateral which would have been the wrong answer anyway!

Day 164 (Saturday 16th July)

I didn’t leave the house today, and spent the day making, grading, and recording results. I finally finished at 9pm, but somehow and incredibly I finished finished. I now have a pile of sorted exam papers in plastic wallets, and a spreadsheet with all the results, grades, and provisional classes. It is a really strange feeling because when I finished half of me thought “What do I do now, I’m bored”! The boredom only lasted as long as it took to find some Pringles. I started packing, which is a strange feeling, but I think a reaction to the feeling that I am basically finished. I have a packed week next week, but the pressure is off and most things don’t require my organisation or brain power.

Day 165 (Sunday 17th July)

It’s really exciting that my church at home, KCC, is having their first meeting in their brand new building today. In many ways I’m really gutted I couldn’t be there, but so excited that I will be in three weeks time. I am really really really looking forward to getting back to my church.

I spent the afternoon watching a Joel Virgo preach on singleness and relationships. It was really challenging, and I would highly recommend it especially to non married people. It’s on the CCK website under the sex etc series.

I also update my blog, ie that’s what I’m doing at the moment. I’m reflecting on my last couple of weeks, excited and looking forward to coming home, but also apprehensive in many ways. I have so much to come back to, and loads of exciting new stuff like starting bible college and working at KCC. I will miss lots about here, I think it has really helped me discern where I possibly am, and probably not called to. Also to discern the gifts I didn’t realise I had been given, and some things I’m really not gifted at!

I have been really challenged by a Casting Crowns song this week, the lyrics are below, you can listen it online: http://vimeo.com/7575212

VOICE OF TRUTH – CASTING CROWNS

Oh,what I would do to have
the kind of faith it takes
To climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves
To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown
Where Jesus is,
And he's holding out his hand

But the waves are calling out my name
and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
time and time again
"Boy, you'll never win,
You you'll never win

But the Voice of truth tells me a different story
the Voice of truth says "do not be afraid!"
and the Voice of truth says "this is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of truth

Oh, what I would do
to have the kind of strength it takes
To stand before a giant
with just a sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound
of a thousand warriors
shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand

But the giant's calling out
my name and he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
time and time again
"Boy you'll never win,
you'll never win."

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
the Voice of truth says "do not be afraid!"
and the Voice of truth says "this is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of truth

But the stone was just the right size
to put the giant on the ground
and the waves they don't seem so high
from on top of them looking down
I will soar with the wings of eagles
when I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
singing over me

But the Voice of truth tells me a different story
The Voice of truth says "do not be afraid!"
And the Voice of truth says "this is for my glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me (calling out to me)
I will choose to listen and believe (I will choose to listen and believe)
I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of truth

I will listen and believe
I will listen and believe the Voice of truth
I will listen and believe
'Cause Jesus you are the Voice of truth
And I will listen to you.. oh you are the Voice of truth

No comments:

Post a Comment